Tk-Yupana is a simple program written in Tcl/Tk, that emulates the the ancient Incan abacus, drawn at page 360 of El Primer Nueva Coronica y Buen Gobierno by Felipe Guaman Poma de Ayala.
Since the manuscript of Poma de Ayala, was found, several theories have been formulated to explain the drawing and the possible operation of the Incan abacus.
In Tk-Yupana the following theories are compared:
- Theory by H. Wassen (Base 10 Positional notation system)
- Theory by C. Radicati (Base 10 Positional notation system)
- Theory by W. Burns Glynn (Base 10 Positional notation system)
- Theory by N. De Pasquale) (Base 40 Positional notation system)
- Teoria di A. Chirinos (Base 10 Positional notation system)
- Teoria di S. Kak (Base 144 Positional notation system with a non-uniform representation)
- Theory by C. Florio (Sign-value notation system)
For more information, please see the program documentation.
Tk-Yupana needs the following minimum requirements to work:
- 32bit Gnu-Linux platform (or Mimdoms)
- Tcl/Tk 8.4 or greater version (http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk - LICENSE)
Note: To install Tcl/Tk on your PC, please refer to: Installing Tk by tkdocs.com.
Tk-Yupana has been released under GNU GPL 3 license. My aim is that everyone who is interested in this software can download and use it.
Please, download the last version of Tk-Yupana for Gnu-Linux (or Mindoms) in the format you prefer.
BEWARE: Tcl/Tk installation is needed, before running Tk-Yupana.
File (Current version:: 0.7.3):
|Linux, Mindoms, ecc.||tk-yupana_0.7.3.zip||0.7.3|
Other site (also previous releases):
|Manual de Usuario !!! PARTIAL TRANSLATION !!!||0.7.1|
BEWARE! Make sure you have downloaded the file with the correct revision (0.7.x) because some browsers display (obsolete) files in their cache. In this case download the file by clicking with the right mouse button on the link and choose "save" or "download" from the menu.
Translate the graphical user interface and help files is not difficult. If you want to help to translate into new languages, or improve existing translations, you'll find all the localization files in different languages under the directory "local", once unpacked the archive of the program Tk-Yupana . Choose a language for which the translation of the GUI and/or the "Help Files" are complete (see table). The files are all in text format and can be edited with a normal text editor. Please keep the format .txt and don't save in .doc format or similar. Once the translation is complete, you can send it to me, specifying if you prefer to remain anonymous or you want your name to appear in the table next to translation (in this case, also remember to grant me the right to publicate your personal data). If you have any questions please contact me first.
STATUS OF LOCALIZATION (rev 0.7.3)
|Language||GUI||Quick Help Files||User Manual||Curator|
Completed and quite reliable translation
Partial or unreliable translation
Wassen's Theory (Positional, base 10) - 1931
Radicati di Prmeeglio's theory (Positional system in base 10) - 1979
Glynn's Theory (Positional system in base 10) - 1981
De Pasquale's Theory (Positional system in base 40) - 2001
Chirinos's Theory (Positional system in base 10) - 2008
Teoria di Florio (Sign-value by powers of ten)
Sign-value notation by Cinzia Florio (multiplication algorithm)
Positional notation in base 10 by W. Burns Glynn
Positional notation in base 10 by H. Wassen
I have to do a homework for the school on the
Yupana by Poma de Ayala.
Of all the theories you described, I have not
figured out which one is valid.
Your question might be the question of the century ...
I suggest you read the chapter 2.8 of the user manual of tk-yupana.
- Where can I find the english version of the user manual?
- I found other theories in internet about the
Yupana. Why those theories are not included in Tk-Yupana?
The reason could be:
1) Theory was not published by an accredited press agency (i.e. is not enough to create your own website and publish a theory to make it valid)
2) The theory is not about the Yupana by Poma de Ayala, but the so called Yupane a Casetta. Tk-Yupana addresses only to the theories about the Incan abacus drawn on p. 360(361) of El Primer Nueva Coronica y Buen Gobierno, written by Felipe Guaman Poma de Ayala. 3) The theory has not yet been implemented, but it will be more forward. This is the case, for example, of the theory by A. Chirino.
Cinzia Florio has been awarded the prize "New Frontiers". Our compliments, and thank You for using our software.
Only one week after its pubblication, Tk-Yupana was awarded by two different sites that indexed it - It's not bad for a alfa release, isn't it? ;-)